Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day four: Getting the Buck out

Overall, not too bad a day for Stevie.  As expected, she handled the rope begin tossed around with no problem.  The rope around her girth area was no issue either.  She walked and trotted out like a champ.

I let the rope get further and further back in a gradual manner.  One back to the flank area, she let me know she wasn't too happy.  Compared to some horse's, her reaction was pretty good, although, I'd have preferred  less!


  After less than fifteen minutes, Stevie was reliably slowing and stopping when I put pressure on her flank rope, rather than bucking.  This is exactly the response I wanted.  By the next session, I was able to set her up in a surcingle with a rear cinch, and had absolutely no reaction from her at all. 


Please use caution and common sense.  Horses are large animals, with an exceptional amount of power and strength.  They are also concerned above all with their own personal safety, and will do whatever they feel it takes to keep themselves from harm.  Being individuals that act and react differently, the only certainty you have when working a horse is uncertainty.  I am a professional trainer with twenty plus years experience, yet even with the knowledge I possess, I still get hurt from time to time.  This blog and the accompanying media are for entertainment purposes only.  No responsibility will be assumed for injuries or damages incurred while trying to use these methods at home.  Please ride responsibly; protective gear can save your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment