Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day fifteen: Riding in the saddle

Stevie relaxing on the bridge, with my "assistant", Nick, a three year old colt.  I like to have lots of distractions for my colts when I am working, and a loose horse in the ring is certainly one!









I expect at this stage, that the colt can stand still to be saddled, without my having to hold her or tie her up.











I also like for my colt to stay where I put them without wandering off.  At this stage, the bridge is really helpful, as it gives them a 'mark', a place to stand that is very clearly defined.  Again, my assistant steps in to make sure Stevie stays there!







Swinging up half way and scratching on her. 












Off for a ride.












Up on the bridge.












Please use caution and common sense.  Horses are large animals, with an exceptional amount of power and strength.  They are also concerned above all with their own personal safety, and will do whatever they feel it takes to keep themselves from harm.  Being individuals that act and react differently, the only certainty you have when working a horse is uncertainty.  I am a professional trainer with twenty plus years experience, yet even with the knowledge I possess, I still get hurt from time to time.  This blog and the accompanying media are for entertainment purposes only.  No responsibility will be assumed for injuries or damages incurred while trying to use these methods at home.  Please ride responsibly; protective gear can save your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment